It would be great if when you click the Yammer icon in the Office365 services ribbon it actually signs you into Yammer rather than redirecting you to Yammer.com.
This blog will detail how to setup single sign on to Yammer via Microsoft Windows Azure Active Directory. When SSO for Yammer is enabled with Azure AD there is no on premise ADFS requirements.
Every Office365 Subscription also has a Windows Azure tenant in the background.When signed into an Office365 tenant , open a new tab and browse to this URL https://manage.windowsazure.com/ and signup for a free trial.
You will need a credit card when signing up however there will be no charge to the credit card.
- Browse to the Active Directory section in the Azure Management Portal and then select
"Add Application" and "Add an application my organization is developing"
as per the image below.
- Name your application as per image below
- Then enter your sign-on url & app id uri as per image below
- You then select "ENABLE USERS TO SIGN ON" and then browse to the "FEDERATION METADATA DOCUMENT URL" and save the metadata xml file as per image below.
- Next we need to connect Windows Azure Active Directory via powershell and run the following commands
Import-Module MSOnlineExtended -Force
$replyUrl = New-MsolServicePrincipalAddresses –Address "https://saml.yammer.com/sp/ACS.saml2"
New-MsolServicePrincipal –ServicePrincipalNames @("yammer/sso") -DisplayName "Yammer Federation" -Addresses $replyUrl
- The command will output an "AppPrincipalId" take note of this value and save it into a text file.
- Then you will need to fill in the Yammer SSO-Checklist.docx which you can download HERE
- We now create a Service Request as per image below
- We then create a compressed file that contains the FederationMetadata.xml, the AppprincipalId and the SSO Checklist and attach the file to the service request.
Once Yammer Support enable Single Sign On for your Yammer network. When you click on the Yammer link from the Office365 portal it will sign you into Yammer :) Or when you browse to your Yammer SSO URL like https://www.yammer.com/ergogroup.ie
If you sign into Yammer , You can then open a new tab to access portal.microsoftonline.com or a Sharepoint Online site without having to re-authenticate. All this with no - on premise ADFS!
Credits: Steve Peschka
Credits: Billy Harris Microsoft